🍟 6/16/2022 – A Ground Floor Franchise Opportunity
FRANCHISES OF THE WEEK
- Founded in 2018, franchising since November 2021
- Based in Rochester, New York; 2 company locations open + 1 franchise in development
- An entertainment center that allows customers to smash common household items using instruments such as baseball bats, crowbars, & sledgehammers
Fees + Investment
- Royalty: 5%
- Brand Fund: Up to 2% (not currently being charged)
- Franchise Fee: $24,950
- Initial Investment:
- Core iSmash: $117,964 – $282,795
- Core Plus Paint iSmash: $130,542 – $333,011
- Core Plus Axe iSmash: $138,629 – $345,375
- Core Plus Paint & Axe iSmash: $151,207 – $395,391
- The below table includes data on 1 company owned location in Rochester that’s been operating since October 2018.
- The location operated as a Core iSmash center during 2019 & 2020, and operated as a Core Plus Paint & Axe in 2021.
The Wolf’s Take
Not gonna lie..this franchise looks fun AF!
Maybe I’m channelling my inner-child that loved throwing temper-tantrums, but the opportunity to blow off some steam and smash the shit out of a bunch of stuff with ZERO consequences sounds amazing.
Not to mention, the economics of the company owned location look pretty darn good – with adjusted profit coming in at about 1/3 the max investment!
Beyond providing “smash therapy” to customers, iSmash also does splatter paint sessions and axe throwing.
This place is basically an adult playground that could serve as a great event for birthday parties, corporate events, or just a fun day or night with some friends.
It’s early days for them, as they haven’t even been franchising for a year and have just 1 location sold in Tampa – but if you’re looking to get in on a concept early, iSmash could be a great opportunity for you!
2) Board & Brush Creative Studio
- Founded in 2015, franchising since 2017
- Based in Wisconsin; 252 locations open at the start of 2022
- Do-it-yourself wood sign workshops such as signs, trays, coat racks, boxes, and more
Fees + Investment
- Royalty: 6%
- Brand Fund: 1%
- Franchise Fee: $25,000
- Initial Investment: $64,589 – $93,461
- The below info contains performance data from existing franchised outlets in 2019, 2020, and 2021 (note: I have reformatted the information from the documentation as it was in paragraph form)
2019 – 167 franchised outlets open & operating all year
- Lowest Earning outlet: $35,031
- Highest-earning outlet: $499,328
- Median Gross Revenue: $181,919
- Average Gross Revenue: $199,544
2020 – 224 franchised outlets *technically* able to operate for 12 months, however covid-19 impacted performance significantly – no data was included other than “revenue was down 28% in 2020 compared to 2019”.
2021 – 199 outlets reported revenues in all 12 months, despite dealing with varying degrees of restrictions caused by covid-19
- Lowest Earning outlet: $32,757
- Highest-earning outlet: $410,733
- Median Gross Revenue: $147,106
- Average Gross Revenue: $153,287
All reported financials are “net of alcohol, refreshments, and promotional items”. Certain locations sell alcohol, while others are BYOB!
The Wolf’s Take
Relative to iSmash, this is a different take on adult recreation, but there’s clearly demand here.
Not only have they opened a whopping 250+ locations in just 5 years, the economics look solid as well – a $94k investment at most that averaged just under $200k in revenue in 2019.
I place more value on the pre-covid data, as 2020 and 2021 were difficult for many retail businesses. The caveat is that at this point in 2022, I would hope stores are at 2019 levels of monthly revenue (something you could find out from existing franchisees during due diligence).
Frankly, I’m a better fit as a customer for iSmash, but I can see the consumer demand for this, and have friends that have done variations of this a la “paint & wine night”.
If you’re in the market for a low budget franchise, check out Board & Brush!
- Board & Brush Franchise Website
- DIY Franchise Is Coming to Lakewood Ranch
- New Board & Brush Opening in Coral Springs
FROM THE POD
Season 2 of Franchise Empires Drops June 21st!
Starting next Tuesday, Franchise Empires is back wherever you get your podcasts!
We’ll have more great conversations with multi-unit franchise owners of brands from Burger King to Mathnasium.
Disclaimer: This Content is for informational purposes only, you should not construe any such information or other material as legal, tax, investment, financial, or other advice. Nothing contained on this site constitutes a solicitation, recommendation, endorsement, or offer to buy or sell any franchises, securities, or other financial instruments in this or in any other jurisdiction in which such solicitation or offer would be unlawful under the franchise and/or securities laws of such jurisdiction.
All Content in this email is information of a general nature and does not address the detailed circumstances of any particular individual or entity. Nothing in the email constitutes professional and/or financial advice, nor does any information in the email constitute a comprehensive or complete statement of the matters discussed or the law relating thereto. You alone assume the sole responsibility of evaluating the merits and risks associated with the use of any information or other Content in this email before making any decisions based on such information or other Content.